Friday, November 14, 2008

Marriage


So I just read this article http://www.ldsmag.com/ideas/081110hate.html. It was written by a LDS cop who lives in California. He had some really good things to say about Proposition 8 and the outrage that has been shown toward the church for it not being passed. Frankly I thought that it was a little frightening but I am grateful that in a day and age where anything goes, that the principles that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints preaches still go strong among us believers. It says in scriptures that God is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
I believe that God instituted marriage, and that for God to approve of that marriage that it should only exist between a man and a woman. I think that there are many that believe that they can believe in God and go completely against the things that He reveals to us through scriptures and prophets to be right and wrong. We can't have it both ways. We can't be of the belief that we can do whatever we want and not have to pay any sort of consequences in the end. I know that this life can be hard. I know the desire to find enjoyment in it wherever possible. However I believe that God has greater desires for us. I believe that the joy we will find from keeping up this moral code far outways any fun we may have looking for another way.
As a married woman with children I want marriage to stay as God made it: between a man and a woman. I do understand that there are people that do not share my beliefs in God and/or that marriage should stay as it has always been. I understand the desire to feel loved and people feel that they are best loved by someone of the same gender. I don't agree with it but I understand that it happens. To them I plead, please don't take away my right to marriage. Please find a different way to get what you want without taking away what I want. Please acknowledge that you are asking all us that believe this way to change our beliefs for you. There has to be another way. Some other way of comprimise.

5 comments:

  1. I think it's crazy what is going on. The just announced on the news tonight about a 3 mile protest lining down state street in SLC tomorow. I'm so happy we have the gospel to light the way. By the way...I love your pictures. You look like little kids in that first one. What good memories! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why am I not surprised that Matt had a spiderman cake? lol (By the way, does he still hate me? :p)

    I don't mind same-sex couples having insurance benefits or whatever, just don't call it marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to that Serin! Of course Matt doesn't hate you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well put, Kathy. My prayers are with all of the church leaders as we whether this craziness. I am so happy that we belong to a church that doesn't change its standards to fit in or be popular. Right is right, end of story.

    Love the spiderman cake! I didn't realize this was such a longstanding love of his:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. you must have married a pretty funny guy to let him do that! haha! i really liked what you wrote. i wish they could see it differently than what they are making it out to be. unfortunately, i have come across members in the church that do agree with same-sex marriage, so it really hurts to know that some members will leave over this issue.

    ReplyDelete