Thursday, November 13, 2008

Alright Brittney, This One's For You

Tag Rules: Go to the 3rd folder of your pictures and select the 3rd picture in. BLOG! So, here we go!



This is it. This is Gideon five years ago at 8 or 9 months old, his first winter, and our first winter in Colorado. He looks so little and uncomfortable and completely unable to move. I wonder if he thought we were torturing him at the time.



Some of my favorite things about Gideon are:

1. The way he protects and takes care of his two little sisters.

2. How he loves to follow a story, whether in a movie or a book.

3. The way he likes to please his father with his knowledge of superheroes.

4. Seeing his desire to learn, it's very exciting and hopeful.

5. He can be very thoughtful and kind to others, he doesn't like to see others cry except for maybe his sisters.

6. He already thinks girls are cute and he often asks me who he is going to marry.

7. He is so proud of being my big helper and says that I wouldn't be able to survive without him, which is totally true.
8. I can never do my feelings as a mother justice. I have never felt such poignant feelings before. A whole range of feelings. From Love when I turn to see them smile and laugh, to downright dislike since kids seem to know exactly what buttons to push. From immense pride when they are kind to deep disappointment when they are mean. From pure frustration because I've repeated myself for the 20 time that morning to Joy in watching them grow and discover and have fun together. Then of course there are all the feelings have about myself. The tears I've shed for my disappointment in myself and my own inabilities to show the patience I have been attempting to develop for the last 5 and a half years. The pride that I feel for when I know that I am their mother and that they love me as much, though differently then I love them. The fear I have that they won't make good choices and that I won't teach them the way I should and that their failures will be all my fault. The hopes that I have for their happiness, past, present and future. I love that they so easily forgive when I lose my temper and the way they sweetly try to take care of me at times. There are just so many extremes of feelings. I am so grateful for them all. I guess I just want to be able to say at the end of the day that I'm getting a little better at this and that my kids went to bed knowing that I love them and that I helped bring us all a little closer to God. I don't quite know why I'm so thoughtful this morning, but I am. And I want my kids to know I love them always!

PS. Tag: Rachel P, Rachel S, Valerie, Sharon, M'Recia, Lisa, Abby and any one else.

5 comments:

  1. You are such a great mom. I look up to you actually. You may not feel patient,but I actually see you as a VERY patient mom. Either that...or you don't have the ability to yell and scream as loud as me. :) haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why on earth do you have that cute boy in a pink coat! Hopefully, it's just that my screen's color is off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for indulging me, Kathy! I thought at first that the picture was of Larke (and not just cuz of of the pink coat, although Rachel's comment made me smile:). They just look so much alike at that age. You are such a terrific mom, and I've learned so much from watching you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea what you were talking about with the pink coat. I went back to look at the picture I guess it looks a little pink, but I swear that it is really red! It's got to be the light.

    ReplyDelete