Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Shedding




So this is the progression of our new shed. Matt and I have been planning on doing a shed in our yard for a long time. Well we finally did it. Matt's parents came out for Labor Day weekend and helped us put it all together. Since Matt's parents built the house that Matt grew up in and love doing other home projects, they have a lot more experience than we do. We are so grateful that they came to help us out. We got so much more done with 4. I got to learn alot of things like framing, how to put in a window, how to build a loft, how to use a nail gun, a miter saw, how to build a truss for a roof and how to do a foundation. I really enjoyed working with Joy. The most fun for me was probably the nail gun and putting together the trusses for the roof. I did smash two of my fingers with a big Bertha (the best hammer) and got numberless splinters. The kids were awesome. They were ignored for 4 days. By day 4 Rush would not have it anymore, but they were so good. Gideon really enjoyed trying out the small nail gun. The girls and Rushmore loved walking on the floor and the walls as we were putting them together. Every time Rushmore could he found his way up on the floor. There were 2 scary moments when the wall with the window was blown over and when one of the main trusses fell off the top. Thankfully nobody was hurt either time. Mike came up with a much better way to do the roof by doing the loft first. So much easier! We got the last wall up which made the sides much more sturdy.

Since most of these pictures I have finished the painting of the walls and most of the roof is on and Matt has finished about half of the shingling. This has been a great learning experience for me. Thanks again to Mike and Joy for making this all possible. Next time we'll have a more relaxing vacation!

3 comments:

  1. So fun to see the roof on -- it looks awesome - for the record my favorite part was working with you -- I think we make an great team! We came home tired but felt like it was one of the best vacations we have ever had!! I know we are weird!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! That's so exciting! And I love the first day of school pictures. It's just so hard to think that Gideon was only a few months old when we met. Time has flown!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a project! I so admire you guys for taking something like this on, and for having fun doing it. We should have a shed warming party when you're all done!

    ReplyDelete