Thursday, July 16, 2009

Introducing....

RUSHMORE ADAM JONES -- 7 lbs 6 oz, 20 1/2 in. Born at 3:39 pm 9 July 2009

Still yucky, being weighed
All of us

Chilling out under the lights, I love his shades.
Big brother and big sisters enjoying baby brother.

I love this picture of Larke.
Our yellow baby
My handsome Hubby and our yellow Rush.
WARNING: This post includes lengthy info. read at your own risk.

So for any of you who want the whole story. I went in for my appointment on the 7th and the Dr. said that we could go ahead and induce since I was at a 2 and about 50% effaced. They were able to schedule it for Thursday at 6:30am. So we went bright and early to the hospital. A special thanks to Phil and Jenny for watching our kids all day and for being willing to come so early in the morning. We played 50 questions for a while with the nurse and then Nurse Sue put in my IV. I have to say that having that IV in was the most unpleasant thing of the day. I almost passed out. The Dr. came in and broke my water around 8:15. The amniotic fluid seemed never ending, they even had to change all the bedding once because it just kept coming with every contraction. I had already been having some contractions for about a week but nothing consistent. The pitocin got some good contractions going in a consistent rhythm and by 10 they were ready to do my epidural. I decided to do the epidural fairly early in case a C-section became necessary. Everything was progressing really steadily and well. After about an hour and a half I was feeling contractions pretty strong again so they gave me more epidural medicine. I was still feeling everything but I soon realized that I was only feeling contractions on the right side. Again the anethesiologist came to give me more medicine which again went to my left side. They decided they needed to start a new epidural, so out came the old and in the new. (Because they gave me so much epidural medicine my left thigh was numb until about 10pm.) About an hour or so after that Rush was ready to come out. The Dr. came and after 5 or 10 minutes of pushing Rush entered the world. He was clocked at 3:39pm. He was very quiet. He looked around and took everything in, he has since discovered his voice which can have a very girly screech at the end. I tore a little because he was insistent on getting one of his arms out before his head. Everything on the whole went really well.
About 12 hrs after Rush was born they checked his billiruben levels and he has basically been on lights ever since. We did get to bring him home from the hospital on the 11th and have had him on lights at home. They had us take him off the lights last night and they checked his levels again this morning. They called a couple of hours ago and said that Rush is in the clear and that we are all done with the lights. His color is looking much better and I am so grateful that it wasn't any worse. Sorry if this is way too much information for some of you. I figured that some of you would want to know everything and some of you would want to know nothing. So there you have it, Rush's first week of life in a nutshell.
A special thanks to my sister LeAnn for watching the kids overnight and for the yummy dinner and for being an awesome friend and sister. Also to Mike, Joy and Melissa for coming and spending a few days with us entertaining the kids, cooking, cleaning, laughing and helping us with all that comes with transitioning to having a new baby in the house. We love you guys and are grateful for all you did. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. We are so grateful to have Rush home and healthy.

12 comments:

  1. I, for one, love all the details! So glad it went so smoothly and your vbac was a success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love this baby already! What a cute kid and what a cute family!! Keep the pics (and the long stories!) coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute little boy! I've been thinking of you guys and wondering if he'd arrived. Glad to hear that everyone's doing well, and welcome, Rush! If I were closer, I'd smooch you to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cutie! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a fairly uneventful delivery - we love it like that right? Congratulations and don't forget to hold him as much as you can. Wish I could see him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Kathy! He is so adorable! Someday we will have to get our boys together! I am glad that things went smoothly and that his jaundace is gone now! Hope that you are resting and enjoying him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so happy that everything went well. he's a cutie! i hope you're getting some sleep...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! I was so excited to get a peek at him in church today. What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!! I am so excited for your family!! He is such a cute little baby!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on little Rushmore! He's so adorable, Kathy! love ya!

    ReplyDelete